The Who? What? Why? Framework

 The Who? What? Why? Framework


We often seek clarity through reading, listening, and gathering spiritual knowledge. But true clarity arises when we start enquiring within.
During my journey, I discovered that asking three simple yet profound questions – Who am I? What am I? Why am I? – can dissolve confusion and reveal a deeper understanding of life, purpose, and the self.
This is the Who? What? Why? Framework – a simple enquiry that transforms philosophy into lived clarity.



Beginner Struggle


During my spiritual practice, I regularly read the Bhagavad Geetā and the Srimad Bhāgavat Mahāpurāṇ.


The teachings from these scriptures felt profound and gave me a perspective. 

But I still yearned for clarity on how to apply these teachings in my daily life.


What does Karma Yoga actually mean?

How do I surrender to God?

How do I experience the Purusha, as distinct from Prakriti?


I watched videos on Jñāna & Advaita Vedanta where some of the answers were shared.

I also read books on Sri Ramana Maharshi and a few other books on Advaita Vedanta


These gave me clarity.

But the questions still remained.


What am I supposed to actually do?

Do I renounce everything and live like a sannyāsi?

How can I be detached while living in the material world?


And that’s when my enquiry helped me develop a framework: Who? What? Why? framework.



Three Simple Questions


Three simple questions that helped me get clarity, not just in theory but even in practice.


Who am I? - Question of Existence: reveals identity

What am I? - Question of Essence: highlights nature & impact of existence

Why am I? - Question of Purpose: defines purpose of the existence and essence


In isolation, these questions may still leave ambiguity. But when applied together, they bring clarity.


For example, let’s apply this framework to the human body


Who Am I? : Identity - device for action

What Am I? : Nature - time bound, perishable; Impact - temporary

Why Am I? : Purpose - perform actions


So a human body is essentially a device for performing actions for a specific time period and  therefore creates temporary impact.

,

Similarly, this framework can be applied to every person, place and belonging.


While this framework draws inspiration from Vedāntic self-enquiry, it is relevant and applicable to anyone, regardless of spiritual background.



Decoding The Framework


What appears as simple on the outside has profound capability to reveal the truth.


Let’s look at each question in the framework, in detail:


Who am I? – True Identity

When I asked this question as a novice seeker, I could only answer with my name, my achievements, my relations and my possessions.


As I progressed in my self-enquiry, the response shifted to my physical being, to mind, intellect and everything that I had read and heard through spirituality.


Eventually I was able to point to the true self.


I applied this approach to things other than “me” - things (vastu), people (vyakti), places (sthān).


Effectively, the response to this question pointed to existence.

Advaita Vedānta too points to the same pure awareness when enquired into with this question.


In summary, this question brings clarity to existence beyond roles, labels, and ego.

  • Applied to the self: Am I my thoughts, my name, my body—or something beyond?
  • Applied to others: Who is this person beyond appearances or my judgments?
  • Clarity it brings: Dissolves illusions of separation; reveals shared being-ness.

What am I? – Nature & Impact

Initially, after asking the first question Who am I?, I realised I was getting stuck.

I sought more clarity, and the natural question that followed was What?


If I am this, then 

What am I made of? - nature

What am I supposed to do? - impact


This helped me realise that everything in this creation has a specific nature (swabhāv) and a specific impact (prabhāv). 

This is not about what roles I play or what work I do. It’s about the innate qualities or tendencies that express through me.”


What we see, hear, smell, touch, taste, experience is essentially the combination of nature & impact within creation.


In summary, this question explores the fundamental nature of being and its impact in the world.

  • Applied to the self: What is my consciousness made of? What effect do I have just by existing?
  • Applied to places: What energy does this place hold? How does it shape me?
  • Applied to belongings: What value or meaning do I project onto this object? What does it reflect about me?
  • Clarity it brings: Highlights interconnection, influence, and hidden truths behind form.

Why am I? – Purpose

After having understood the existence, the nature & the impact, the next obvious question was, Why?


If I am this

this is my nature

this is my impact in the world 

then why am I existing with this nature and impact? - purpose


We often do not fully understand the purpose. 

Most of the time, we are imitating either others or elders.


But if we pause and ask, Why? it gives us a lot more clarity.


Let’s take an example of Fan.

Who am I? - A device with blades and motor

What is my nature? - rotate when powered with electricity

What is my impact? -  blow air


Why do I exist? - Purpose: regulate air flow


When we understand the purpose of everything around us including our own being, we start living with awareness.

Purpose is not an intellectual conclusion. It is an unfolding realisation revealed through sincere enquiry and by living with awareness.


In summary, this question leads us into alignment with a deeper reason for being.

  • Applied to the self: What is my unique expression in this lifetime?
  • Applied to relationships: Why has this person entered my field? What lesson or gift do they carry?
  • Applied to belongings: Why do I keep this? Is it serving my growth or attachment?
  • Clarity it brings: Refines direction, sheds the inessential, aligns life with soul-purpose.


Illustration For Clarity


Let’s try to understand the above framework with the help of an illustration:


Imagine you had an argument with a close friend.


Now instead of asking: why did they behave like this? 


Try asking:

Who is feeling hurt?

Is it the body (physical pain), mind (emotional hurt), or something deeper.


If it is the mind which is hurt, then ask

What is the nature and impact of mind?

Mind is always flickering. Its nature is to give rise to desires. As a result it keeps us distracted all the time. It makes us chase multiple desires.


If the mind that is hurt keeps creating desires that cause distraction, then

Why does the mind feel hurt?

Because the mind gives rise to the desire for happiness. To fulfil this desire, the mind creates an expectation, especially from those it trusts more. When that expectation is not met, it experiences dissonance, which it perceives as hurt.



Invitation To Practice


Spirituality isn’t about complicated philosophies.


It starts with just three simple but powerful questions:

  • Who am I? (Question of existence)
  • What am I? (Question of essence)
  • Why am I? (Question of purpose)

Use these questions as a living enquiry in daily life.

Before reacting, before attaching, before assuming—ask:
Who? What? Why?

Then observe the stillness, the answer, or even the silence that follows.
Clarity often doesn't speak loudly—but it never lies.


Try using this Who? What? Why? framework today with one challenge you’re facing, and observe how it shifts your understanding.





Comments