Madhav & Friends: Bhagavad Geetā through everyday stories | Chapter 2 : Three Gates to Hell

 Madhav & Friends: Bhagavad Geetā through everyday stories


Chapter 2

Three Gates to Hell



College term was over and Madhav had started working at a private company called WeServe technologies, where he had got a job through his campus. Radhika too was working in another company, while preparing for her MBA entrance exam. Sudarshan, could not get a job through campus, but managed to find a job as a Sales Engineer in one of the lesser known company. Varun, decided to pursue further studies. He had applied for GMAT and other competitive exams for higher studies in US.


The 4 friends were now busy with their professional life. However they would still make it a point to meet every weekend and occasionally also jam together at Varun’s house. On one such jamming session, Sudarshan seemed to be a bit stressed. His focus was not on playing drums, and he was constantly messaging on his phone. Madhav noticed this. When the jam session was over, and they were leaving, Madhav offered lift to Sudarshan on his newly bought motorcycle.


Sudarshan agreed, but he asked to be dropped at some other place instead of his home. Madhav enquired if everything was ok, to which Sudarshan just nodded indicating everything was fine. But Madhav knew that something was bothering Sudarshan. He dropped Sudarshan at the location where he wanted to get off and then left for his home.


Couple of days later, Madhav called up Sudarshan and asked if he is free to catch up after work. Sudarshan agreed and they decided to meet at the cafe near their college which used to be their regular hangout during engineering. Sudarshan was waiting on the opposite side of the road near a small cigarette shop. Madhav didn’t see him there. When he reached the cafe, he called Sudarshan on his cell phone, “Where are you da?” asked Madhav.


“Just coming macha” replied Sudarshan. 


Madhav sat down at one of the tables waiting for Sudarshan, when he saw Sudarshan coming from across the road. He was smoking a cigarette. As Sudarshan was about to enter the cafe, he extinguished the cigarette and threw it on the road. Madhav noticed this.


They both greeted each other with their usual pleasantries. They ordered coffee and some sandwiches. 


Madhav asked, “How is your job?”


“It is going on macha” replied Sudarshan in a very disinterested tone. 


It had been barely 6 months since they had started working after completing their engineering. Madhav was a bit surprised at such disinterested tone of Sudarshan. So he enquired further, “What is your role? What do you do exactly?”


Sudarshan again replied in a very disinterested tone “I am a Sales Engineer. I work like a sales executive”


Madhav asked further, “Hmm that must be a challenging job”


“It is stressful” replied Sudarshan.


“I see. Hope it pays well at least” asked Madhav.


“Only if I am able to achieve my sales target! Part of my salary is in commissions which I get only if I achieve the sales target” replied Sudarshan


Madhav, understood the cause of Sudarshan’s stress. 


“So is that why you have started smoking now?” asked Madhav.


Sudarshan was a bit embarrassed by this question and tried to avoid answering it.


But Madhav persisted. “Hope you are not addicted to smoking yet”


“No. Nothing like that” said Sudarshan trying to brush off the question


Madhav said, “I saw you throw your cigarette before entering the cafe”


Sudarshan was now embarrassed. He confessed, “This job is very stressful Madhav. Every day, every week, every month my boss chases me for achieving my sales targets. I have never done sales before. I am an Engineer, not a salesman. I am finding this job to be very stressful. But I have no choice. You know my condition. My parents have high hopes from me. They think that after completing engineering, I will get a well paying job and I can support the family expenses. But this job pays me on achievement of sales targets. I cannot quit this job, as I don’t have any other job. But I cannot work here either. I am too confused. I don’t know what to do.” Saying so Sudarshan sat holding his head.


Madhav sensed the frustration and the burden of responsibilities and expectations that Sudarshan was carrying. Madhav said, “Sudarshan, I understand what you are going through. Send me your CV, and let me share it with our HR. If there is any vacancy they can contact you. Also, share your CV with our batchmates and your other friends. Reach out to as many people as you can to get a job which you would like to do”


Sudarshan felt a bit relieved listening to Madhav. They both chatted for some more time before they left for their homes.


After around 3 months, Sudarshan managed to get a job which he wanted to do. It paid decently well and also the role was what he liked. He called Madhav to inform him first. Madhav was extremely happy for Sudarshan and jokingly asked him to treat him for the new job. Sudarshan agreed and the 4 friends met up again at the same cafe which was their usual hangout place.


They all congratulated Sudarshan for the new job and started chatting about their life and job, etc. After sometime, Sudarshan got up and went out of cafe. He lit up a cigarette and was smoking it standing in one corner outside the cafe. Madhav saw this and he followed Sudarshan. Madhav tapped on Sudarshan’s shoulder from behind. Sudarshan turned and was a bit embarrassed to see Madhav. He didn’t want Madhav to see him smoking again.


Madhav asked, “So you still smoke?”


“Just like that macha. Sometimes only. Not regularly.” replied Sudarshan.


Madhav sensed something off in the way Sudarshan replied. He put his hand on Sudarshan’s shoulder and asked, “Is everything ok? At home? Your family? Is something still bothering you?”


Sudarshan didn’t know how to respond. He said, “Yes Madhav. All is ok. Now I have got the job which I am looking forward to. Now all my problems are going to get resolved”


Madhav was not convinced with this response. He sensed that Sudarshan was probably addicted to smoking. He said, “Sudarshan, you know smoking is not good. Last time I asked if you are addicted and you said, no. But today, when you are happy also, you are smoking. How often do you smoke?”


Sudarshan tried to avoid answering, “Not daily baba, just occasionally. Come let’s go inside. Radhika & Varun are waiting for us”


Madhav, stopped Sudarshan and said, “Sudarshan I have known you long enough to know when you are telling truth and when you are lying. I am your friend and care for you. I just want to warn you. Don’t enter the 3 gates to hell”


Saying this Madhav went inside the cafe to join Radhika and Varun. Sudarshan had a confused look on his face. “3 gates to hell? what does that even mean” he thought to himself.


He walked inside the cafe confused. Radhika asked Sudarshan & Madhav. “What were you two chatting about outside. Planning to come up with new song or album, eh?”


Sudarshan just brushed off the question. They chatted for long and Sudarshan treated them for dinner.


Few months later, Sudarshan called Madhav. He sounded bit tensed. “Madhav, are you free? Can we meet?”


Madhav replied “Yes Sudarshan. Hope everything is ok. You sound worried.”


“I will tell you when we meet. Let’s meet at our regular cafe” said Sudarshan.


When Madhav reached, Sudarshan was already waiting for Madhav at one of the tables. Madhav went to Sudarshan and sat down at the table.


“What’s the matter Sudarshan? is everything ok?” enquired Madhav.


“Madhav, I don’t know but I am really worried” replied Sudarshan.


“What happened Sudarshan?” asked Madhav again.


Sudarshan said, “Today morning I coughed and I saw some blood in my saliva. I am worried, if this is something serious”


“Did you see any doctor? Have you done any tests?” asked Madhav.


Sudarshan just nodded in negative with a very nervous expression on his face.


“How will you know what is the matter then?” said Madhav.


Sudarshan suddenly started crying. Madhav was taken aback at this sudden emotional outburst of Sudarshan. He tried to comfort him.


Sudarshan said, “I am the only earning member of my family. My parents have hopes from me to take care of the financial needs of our family. What will happen to them if anything happens to me. I am very scared”


Madhav tried to comfort Sudarshan and said, “You will never know if anything is going to happen to you until you visit some doctor and get yourself checked. Come let’s go to a doctor. I know a friend’s elder brother who is a good doctor.”


Saying so Madhav and Sudarshan left for the hospital. At the hospital the doctor asked various questions to Sudarshan as a standard protocol. He prescribed some tests for Sudarshan to do. Sudarshan got the tests done immediately. However the reports were expected only by next day. Sudarshan was impatient and nervous the whole night.


Next day Madhav accompanied Sudarshan to the doctor. He knew that Sudarshan needed moral support so he took leave from his office and went with Sudarshan to meet the doctor. They collected the reports and met the doctor. The doctor had a detailed look at the reports and said that everything looks normal. Sudarshan breathed a sigh of relief.

 

“But you need to still take care. Blood in saliva is not normal. You need to watch your habits like smoking and eating too much outside food. Smoking especially is very harmful. Quit smoking as soon as possible” said the doctor.


Sudarshan was already feeling relieved after knowing that the reports were normal so he didn’t really pay any serious heed to what the doctor said. Madhav noticed this casual behaviour of Sudarshan. When they left the hospital, Madhav said in a stern voice, “So are you planning to quit smoking? Or still plan to enter the 3 gates to hell?”


Sudarshan had the confused look on his face again. He asked, “What? 3 gates to hell? what are you talking about Madhav? Other day also you mentioned about this 3 gates to hell? What are these 3 gates to hell?”


Madhav made hand gestures of smoking to indicate to Sudarshan what he meant. Sudarshan just laughed off to that and said, “It’s ok da. I am not addicted to smoking. Plus the doctors always say such things. It’s ok. Don’t worry.”


Madhav was now upset with Sudarshan for taking this very casually. He walked in front of Sudarshan and looked straight in his eyes and said, “Is this a joke to you now? Till today morning you were all nervous and now you are completely carefree, you think this is some joke? You think the doctor was joking when he asked you to quit smoking?”


Sudarshan sensed the seriousness in Madhav’s tone and behaviour. He tried to pacify Madhav, “That’s not what I meant Madhav. I was just saying that I am not addicted to smoking”


“You are the only earning member of your family and your parents have hope from you. Did you forget about it, now that your reports are normal?” said Madhav in a slightly angry voice.


Sudarshan was silent. he just looked down. “If you value my friendship even little bit, you will listen to me and quit smoking immediately” said Madhav and left from there.


Sudarshan was stunned to hear this and stood there till he saw Madhav ride away.


Next day Sudarshan called Madhav to meet. Madhav reached the place. Sudarshan apologised to Madhav for being very casual the day before. “I am sorry Madhav. I know I behaved irresponsibly and acted very casually. I value your friendship. You have always helped me. I respect your words, and I called you to tell you that I am quitting smoking”


Madhav smiled at Sudarshan and shook his hand. “It will definitely be good for you. Nobody has ever found happiness in the 3 gates to hell” said Madhav.


Sudarshan was confused again and instinctively asked “What is this 3 gates to hell? You mentioned it yesterday also. You mentioned it last time also. What are you talking about?”


Madhav said, “3 Gates, which take the soul to hell - Greed, Lust and Anger”


Sudarshan kept looking at Madhav with a confused expression. Madhav understood that he needs to explain more.


“Bhagwan Krishna in Bhagavad Geetā mentions that the 3 gates to hell are Greed, Lust and Anger. And they are all interlinked” said Madhav.


Sudarshan said, “Oh this is from the Geetā. That’s what I kept wondering, what are you talking about”


“Yes it is from Bhagavad Geetā. You know that the Bhagavad Geetā has been my biggest inspiration right from our engineering days” said Madhav.


“Yes yes I know. We are soul and not the body. How can I forget one of the best teaching you gave me from the Geetā when my father was hospitalised” Said Sudarshan


“Yes. And the Bhagavad Geetā is full of such teachings and inspirations.” said Madhav.


“But why did you mention about the 3 gates to hell to me? Is smoking also part of these 3 gates?” asked Sudarshan


“Addiction is a form of greed” replied Madhav


“Any Addiction eventually leads us to Greed. Greed leads us to more Desires or Lust. And unfulfilled desires or Lust makes us Angry. This is what Bhagwan Krishna says in the Bhagavad Geetā.” Madhav added.


Sudarshan was now listening attentively to Madhav.


Madhav continued, “For example, Greed makes us want for more. Addiction arises from this same want for more. This desire for more eventually turns into Lust. Lust does not only mean sexual. Any desire which overtakes our ability to think and behave in a sane manner is Lust. And when our Lust remains unfulfilled, we get Angry. Anger clouds our ability to think. And when we lose our ability to think, we fall down. So these are the 3 gates to Hell.”


Sudarshan was now getting the sense of what Madhav was saying. He asked, “So only such bad habits can lead us to the 3 gates to hell? Or is there more to this?”


“Anything which binds us to the sense pleasures, will eventually lead us to the 3 gates to hell. As long as you understand this and are able to detach yourself from the material sense pleasures, you are safe from the 3 gates” said Madhav.


Sudarshan now seemed a bit confused. “Sense pleasures? What does that actually mean? We are drinking this coffee right now, is this also leading to sense pleasures?”


“If you are getting attached to it, yes. Like I said, attachment to any material objects which please any of our senses - touch, taste, smell, sound, sight, leads us into the 3 gates. If you are attached to the taste of coffee it will eventually lead you towards greed, lust and anger. If you are attached to some food, then it will lead you to the 3 gates, and so on.” replied Madhav


Sudarshan now was getting the essence of what Madhav was saying. But he still had questions, “But then why do we work? We work to get a good life. Good life is essentially owning more material pleasures and experiences. So is this also wrong?”


Madhav replied, “What we do is decided by our destiny. Our profession, our work, is due to the combination of our Gunas. But with what objective we work, is decided by us. If you work only to own and enjoy the material objects and please your senses then you are getting attached to them eventually leading you to the 3 gates of hell. But if you understand this and focus on only the functional aspects of the material objects then you are detaching yourself from them”


“How do you detach when you are earning for food, clothes, shelter, etc.?” asked Sudarshan in a confused tone.


“Why do you need food? What purpose do clothes serve? Why do you need shelter?” asked Madhav


Sudarshan was confused at these questions of Madhav. He replied, “We need food to keep ourselves healthy and nourished, clothes to keep our body covered and shelter to keep ourselves safe. Aren’t these the purposes of these things?”


“Indeed these are” replied Madhav. “So you need food for the nourishment of your body. Then why do you desire to eat something very specific sometimes? Like sweets, or pizza, etc.? You need clothes to cover yourself, but then why do you desire branded clothes, or fashionable clothes? You need shelter to stay safe, so why do people desire big houses? multiple houses? This is exactly where the problem occurs. Detachment is seeking what is necessary and not what is beyond our requirement” said Madhav.


“So are you saying that we should not be ambitious?” asked Sudarshan.


Madhav replied, “What is destined for you, will come to you. You should focus on doing your duty without attachment to results. The more you get attached to results or desires, you know where you are headed…”


“To the 3 gates to hell” interrupted Sudarshan with a smile.


“Exactly. So keep yourself away from any addiction or attachment” said Madhav.


“Agreed” said Sudarshan.


Comments